Friday, July 10, 2020

Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Just finished this novel and while I was skeptical due to all of the hype, I had enjoyed one of her other books (Daisy Jones and the Six), so I gave it a try and man, was I blown away! I absolutely loved this book!

Monique Grant, a writer for a NYC magazine, in the midst of a divorce, is surprised when she is selected by Evelyn Hugo, the 79 year old Oscar winning actress and film legend, to write her memoirs.

What follows is the story of an amazing life. 

Beginning with her childhood in Hell's Kitchen, NY with no mother and an abusive father, it follows her fight to escape to a new life and her incredible ambition, then spans 30 years of Evelyn Hugo's marvelous career. It explores her rise to stardom based on her incredible beauty, her many daring film choices, her friendships (and the occasional enemy), her life choices, her secrets, the scandals she found herself in (and the many she was able to avoid), the love and loss of her only child, her seven husbands, and the REAL love of her life. It then follows her story after she left fame and the limelight, leaving behind the chaos and dishonestly in order to live life to it's fullest in a quiet, peaceful and honest way.

This is one of the best novels that I've read and I'll be adding it to my loooong list of favorite books. 


No comments:

Post a Comment