Friday, April 24, 2020

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

In honor of Arbor Day 2020 - today's book will be The Giving Tree!

This has been one of my favorite books since I was 8 years old when my grandmother gave it to me for Christmas in 1978. (see picture below of her inscription) That copy then belonged to our first daughter, Jessica, and later her sister, Jayne. They both enjoyed it as much as I did. While they are now both grown, I STILL have that copy in my library in hopes of perhaps sharing it with a grandchild someday.

"Once there was a tree.... and she loved a little boy."

This is story of a tree that loves a boy unconditionally. This tree, throughout it's lifespan, gives this boy all kinds of things that he wants, and this boy, accepts these gifts throughout his lifetime.

While it's easy to feel sad for the tree, she was made happy giving selflessly and being generous. While the boy did a lot of taking and used the tree for selfish reasons, he eventually learned to appreciate the trees gifts.

While a little sad, it has many important lessons. This is a must for all children in my opinion.




No comments:

Post a Comment