Saturday, April 25, 2020

The Stand by Stephen King

Today's book seemed like a good choice during a global pandemic (although covid 19 is not nearly as deadly as the pandemic in the book).

Stephen King is one of my favorite authors and I'll likely have several books of his here eventually. I'm not really a horror genre fan and I don't care for horror movies (although I do like the paranormal genre),  but Stephen King books are so much more than just a scary story. His characters are amazing. In fact, I read this at least 3 times in my life just so that I could visit with the beloved characters.

The story line IS certainly scarey, a deadly bug (a germ, not the creepy crawly kind) gets loose from a military base and very rapidly travels across the country killing almost everyone. Unlike the Covid 19 of today's reality, this germ is extremely deadly to the majority of the population, like 99%. Way worse.

It is the story of a group of characters all across the country who survive the spread of the disease and what the world is like for them before, during and after.  Each share common dreams, either of something good, or something dark and dangerous and are drawn to others with like minds. They eventually all come together in 2 large cities and start their own societies, but one being "good" and one being "bad", they are obviously headed to a major conflict.

Normally, I'm not a fan of novels with a lot of characters as I tend to get them all mixed up which makes the story harder to follow. However Stephen King is so brilliant at character development that I had no trouble keeping tract of them all and the separate personalities, stories and situations. It was a delight, in fact.

This is a long story, it was originally released in an edited version, but I do recommend reading the complete uncut version. Might as well get the full story, right?

M-O-O-N, that spells "I love this book"!



No comments:

Post a Comment